In Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) specific emotions are associated with our internal organs. There can be a physical cause, an emotional (internal) cause, or a combination of both as reasons for health occurrences.
About 22 years ago I sustained a kidney injury after falling off a horse. I chose acupuncture as my mode of treatment and a "bruised kidney" was confirmed. I walked into that office not even able to stand up straight and could only walk if my left leg was fully extended to the left. After one treatment I walked out of that office like nothing had ever happened. Why would a kidney injury affect my ability to walk?
Your Kidneys are key organs for sustaining life and the body's storehouse of "Qi" energy, specifically "pre-natal Qi" energy. This is the life energy inherited from your parents. It is the "Superhero" of the body as it will use this reserve to supply energy to any other organ that is running low on Qi. What happens, however, when the Kidney Qi is low, deficient or imbalanced?
Symptoms of Kidney Imbalance
- Fear is the emotion associated with Kidneys: When in balance your Kidneys are your courage and willpower. When a change in life direction happens or there are unstable living conditions, an imbalance in Kidney energy can occur and be manifested in the following ways:
- Chronic fear or anxiety
- Kidneys are key organs for sustaining life
- Reproduction issues
- Reproduction issues
- Bone is the tissue associated with the Kidneys
- Dental issues
- Development Disorders
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Muscular dystrophy
- Cerebral palsy
- Ears are the sensory organ related to the Kidneys. Any ear condition may be telling you your Kidneys are needing some energy support:
- Hearing loss
- Hair: The condition of the hair is a good indicator of your Kidneys health.
- Hair loss
- Premature gray hair
Of course, let's not forget the typical symptoms.... frequent urination and urinary incontinence. And, what about that back pain? This is where the Bladder enters the picture. As mentioned in a previous blog, every organ has a partner and the Kidney's partner is the bladder. This means problems with Kidney energy can be resolved quicker by focusing on the bladder.
In TCM there is a network or pathways of energy (Qi) that flow throughout your body. These are called "meridans". The Bladder meridian literally runs from the top of the head down both sides of the spine down to your little "piggy" toe. This channel is powerful for treating most kinds of neck, sacral, hamstring, calf, achilles .... and, low-back pain.
So, can fear contribute to tinnitus, low back pain, or osteoporosis? Absolutely!! What can you do about it? Here are a few tips:
- Salt: The taste that corresponds to and supports the Kidney is salt. Listen to your body. If you are craving salt, have a salty snack. Be sure the salt is a healthy one with balanced minerals like this one.
- Stomp your feet, slowly and with flat feet for about 5 minutes a day. The Kidney and Bladder meridians run through the feet and this will stimulate the Kidney energy
- Rub your ears for several minutes a day until they become hot.
- Rub (or use a tennis ball) the acupressure point in the exact center of the bottom of each foot. This may help relieve symptoms as night sweats, hot flashes, tinnitus, hypertension, insomnia, anxiety, and headaches.
In the past couple years I have had recurring low-back pain at night. Could this be related to that old kidney injury? Perhaps I need to focus on some kidney support again.
You may not be able to control every trigger or external influence that brings feelings of fear or anxiety. You can, however, find ways to manage how they will affect you. Check out some ideas here.
You may also appreciate learning more about the organ clock.
Join My Freedom Journey where this and other topics are discussed.