Researchers have found that young people today are 4.5 times more likely to have celiac than the same age group in the 1950's. In the U.S., approximately 1 out of every 133 people ... or 1% ... have celiac. Since there is no standard screening for celiac ... like there is for cholesterol or blood pressure ... these numbers could be much higher.
5 Reasons For The Sharp Increase In Gluten Sensitivities
- thermal (heat) processing
- changes the protein structure of gluten to be more immune reactive
- affects the digestion and absorption for proteins by the intestines
- affects recognition of proteins by immune cells
- affects bioavailability
- affects allergenicity (the ability of an antigen to induce an abnormal immune response)
- affects immunogenicity (the ability of cells/tissues to provoke an undesirable immune response)
3) the storage method promotes mold
- increases immune reactivity
- affects gut flora
- increases amount of undigested food
- increases immune attacks
- views the undigested food as a microbial invader
5) gluten has been hybridized - look for the purpose of the hybrid
- cross-pollination - not the same as genetically modified
- resists pests
- more weather resistant
- can be organic
- has it been bred to increase the amount of gluten?
There are valid reasons ... and concern for ... the sharp increase in gluten sensitivities. If you have Hashimoto's and have not yet been checked for gluten sensitivity, please do not hesitate to do so. Making the lifestyle changes needed to avoid gluten could be a game-changer for you.
If you are gluten-free but having difficulty with the adjustments, my Gut-Healing and Nutrient-Dense Food instructions may be just what you need to get you started or keep you going.
Received a negative gluten test but still not feeling good? This Wellness Scan can show you what your specific triggers are .... and, it still may be gluten. Unfortunately, a negative test does not necessarily mean you are not reacting in some way to gluten.